Deer and Doe Plantain T-Shirt Hack

Two years ago I made a velour dress to wear for New Years Eve.. I had limited time, only couple of hours to finish my project, including pattern hacking.. Since the dress is very basic, sewing really lasts less than an hour.. I love wearing my first version of the dress and that's the main reason why I wanted to make another one.. The only problem was I couldn't remember which pattern I used as a base for my hack..




Plantain T-Shirt pattern is one of my go to patterns when it comes to sewing knits.. It is a free sewing pattern by Deer and Doe patterns.. I love the fit, and so far I made numerus hacks.. This pattern is the base for my sleepwear, I made couple of dress versions and I return to this pattern regularly.. That's how I discovered that I used Plantain pattern to make a velour tent dress.. It was kind of a surprise for me.. There are so many changes to the pattern, that it looks like a complete redraft.. 




Main changes to the original pattern were adding length to make it into a dress and adding volume for a tent dress.. Second step was changing the neckline.. The third step was redrafting sleeve cap to get gathered sleeve.. All these are easy hacks and I love how they give completely different silhouette of the dress.. 




I like velour fabrics and I was happy to find a pattern for them.. I purchased the fabric in a local shop.. For my first make I used deep blue velour, and on these photos you can see deep green.. If you ever tried photographing velour fabric you know how hard it is to catch their true color.. Sewing velour can be tricky, but I didn't have any problems with mine project.. When you're working with velour fabrics you should pay attention at direction of the nap and lay all pattern pieces in the same way.. I didn't wanna have any topstitching on my fabric, so I handstitched all hems.. 




I intentionally made the skirt shorter.. With tent dresses there is a lot of fabric, and I love when there's some contrast.. The dress can be worn as a tunic too.. I used 2 m to make this dress.. Hopefully I will figure out a project where I will use all leftovers.. Meanwhile I would love to make a version from a more everyday fabric.. Velour is not a practical fabric for people with pets.. The fabric collects all pet hair and sometimes cleaning is time consuming..

Comments