Night In June




These days I’m in a mood for sewing garments with fabrics I bought in Turkish market in Berlin.. So far I’ve used four, and I’m left with only one more.. I already showed you what I made with first and second fabric, and this is my third make.. The dress you see here is actually the present I brought from Berlin for my sister Dina.. I truly tried to find some other gift, but ended up buying 2 meters of this lovely flower print cotton.. It looked like the most logical thing to do.. At that point I didn’t know what kind of a dress would I make for her.. Eventually I remembered that my sister tried on a dress that a friend made for herself and that it looked good on her.. 




It’s the vintage pattern #125 from Burda 11/2007.. It has a lot of interesting details.. Pleats on shoulders, kimono sleeves with an underarm gusset, pleated skirt.. Unfortunately, all those details are barely visible on photos because of the busy print of the fabric.. You can see it all on a technical sketch bellow.. This time I wasn’t too lazy and I sewed the pockets to the dress.. That’s the only thing that I changed to the original pattern.. I really enjoyed sewing this cotton print.. There were no problems of any kind.. After making this dress I was left with enough fabric to make a shorts for myself (you'll see it at some point).. 



I love how this slightly off the shoulders neckline looks on Dina.. Originally, this dress should be worn with a petticoat.. The skirt would be fuller.. We both think that it looks fine like this.. Dina was also very happy with the outcome and wore this dress on her birthday party.. Now I must figure out a new dress as a birthday present for her.. Hopefully this time she won’t have to wait too long for it..




Technical sketch for pattern #125 from Burda 11/2007

Comments

  1. Such a cute dress. Lovely shape :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is sooooo cute. Even if you barley see the details on the picture, the fabric still fits the pattern very well and the shape is lovely. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much :) I also love this combination of the fabric and dress shape :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a great dress for her... and yes love that neckline just slightly off her shoulders! Beautiful!

    It kind of looks like an Anna/By Hand London dress but the darts reversed... weird!? I like the V neck at the back though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna dress didn't cross my mind when I started sewing this dress.. I see what you're talking about.. Bodice of Anna dress looks like very simplified version of this pattern..
      thanks :)

      Delete
  4. you know you're a burda magazine addict when you can recognize the pattern (or at least visual the burda model photo) at first glance. Great work on this one! the pattern was more fancy but you made it into a very pretty dress that can be worn everyday or for occasions. good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess, I am Burda magazine addict :) but I always see technical sketches because they are closer to the pattern than the model photos ;) this particular issue (11/2007) is one of my favorite :D
      thanks :)

      Delete
  5. i adore the bodice, what a great cut, and the fabric choice is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute dress! Lucky sister to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is simply lovely! … from now on when I think pretty dress I will picture this !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. :) I have a plan to sew it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is beautiful. I have to admit - you've inspired me to the extent that I want to copy your outfit of the Tate top and self-drafted skirt! I wanted to ask you about the fabric you bought for this dress at the Turkish Market in Berlin - how is the fabric shopping there, and how is the quality? I've signed up to get your blog updates - looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment