Marcia Baila




I had my eye on this beautiful cotton double gauze for a while.. I loved the colour, subtle golden print, and the lightness of the fabric.. Right at the time when I decided to buy it, Justine from Wissew offered me to try one of their sewing patterns.. I had two patterns on top of my list, and decided to go with Katy dress designed by Charlotte de Cha Choud.. Katy dress looked like something I could wear to work, which is a big plus these days.. Most important, I could imagine this buttoned dress made from my new fabric.. The pattern is very basic, and has step by step instructions.. Instructions are also illustrated, which might help everyone who's following them.. There is only one thing I don't like about this pattern - every size has its own printing file.. That makes tracing the pattern in between sizes difficult.. Luckily this pattern has a loose fit, with a lot of room around the waist (I don't have to unbutton the dress to put it on or take it off).. One should get the right fit only around the shoulders and bust.. The pattern has seam allowances included, but there are also the lines if you want to trace the pattern without SA!! In my opinion that option is a big plus :D I don't love patterns with included SA.. They are more complicated to redraft and make changes.. Without SA any changes to the pattern are a lot easier (and with less headache).. 
I made a few minor changes to the pattern like lowering the V neckline for 2 inches, lowering the waistline for 1 inch, narrowing the tunnel for the belt and the belt, and I added 2 inches to the skirt length to more appropriate length.. Most important are inseam pockets which I forgot to photograph.. This is my first garment made from double gauze and I'm in love how light this dress is.. Perfect for warm summer days.. Also I love how these gold round buttons go with the fabric.. I chose the plastic ones because those made from metal were too heavy for this light fabric.. Katy dress is a pattern I can see myself using more than once.. I'll probably make a midi length version or with long sleeves when the Autumn comes.. 






Behind the camera - Matija Vukov

Comments