Money






After months of talking about sewing coats, and not making any, Mokosha and I needed to think of a way to make it happen before this winter passes.. We set a deadline, to finish coats until February the 15th.. Which pattern and fabrics Mokosha will use was a mystery to me.. She knew only my fabric choice, since the orange wool and satin with print of ancient Greek coins were the birthday gift from her..  Before my birthday I had some other plans for the coat, but after receiving this solid color wool I switched to the vintage Burda pattern.. I found this pattern a year or two ago, while arranging some of my mom’s books and immediately fell in love with it.. Sometimes it's good to have a home full of surprises.. It is a single pattern #45024 and comes in two sizes 36 and 38/40.. Instructions are in German, and by the hairstyle and pointy collar I date it into early ‘70s.. Maybe it’s even from late ‘60s, I couldn’t find any info about its release.. Soon after finding the pattern I even made a muslin to see if size 36 fits me.. The project was on hold, because I wanted to make the coat in bright solid color, even pink would be an option (as on the pattern photo), but finding the right fabric was a lot harder.. Mokosha really knows which fabrics are best for me :) thanks again :D 



As I have mentioned, the pattern instructions are all in German.. There are some steps in pictures on how to make the coat as you can see on photo above.. I ignored all that (as usual) and made the coat using logic and my experience.. There’s nothing complicated with this pattern or something I haven’t sewn before.. I made a few changes to the pattern.. First, I redrafted the collar, making it slightly smaller, and instead of pointy it’s curved.. Somehow, it looked better to me that way, with all other softer and round shapes the coat has.. My second modification is changing the construction of welt pockets.. Mine are in shape of normal rectangle.. Third and last modification was omitting the cuffs on sleeves.. For them I needed more fabric.. Sewing went without any problems.. For lining of the coat I used satin with print of ancient Greek coins.. Very fun detail for an archaeologist.. The buttons are covered with the fabric I used for coat.. I find it the cheapest and easiest way to have good matching buttons for garments..










You cannot imagine how much I love this coat.. It’s even better in real life than on pattern photo and so much fun to wear.. Since the coat is like a half circle at the back, it’s not practical to wear it with skirts.. The coat won’t keep them in place if the wind blows.. A reason more to make some new shorts :) Also, the coat is not for very cold and windy winter days..


Since I’m showing you my birthday presents, I want to mention these cute earrings made by my sisters friend Tanja.. I have always loved jewelry with beads, and these earrings are perfect :)




Mokosha and I had a deal to photograph each other, and it’s on that day that I finally saw her coat! Whatever she says about the coat in her post, it looks great in person :) We had too much fun, or better said, we had some ridiculous situations after which I just couldn’t make a normal face again.. The last photo is done by Mokosha, when I wanted to show how I can look like a superhero in my orange coat.. That’s why I had to redo photo shoot with my sister who’s used on keeping me normal..


Behind the camera - my favorite sister Dina :)

Comments

  1. dobre su i ove fotke, ali bih se zaklela da su moje bolje :P inace, bila sam metnula i matorog pijanca u post, ali sam ga ipak izbacila u poslednjem trenutku.. sad nam valja smisliti sledeci challange :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not you, it's me :P moram postati ozbiljnija ubuduce :) tesko bi bilo objasniti matorog pijanca koji je uleteo da se slika, a jos manje АЛО БРЕ, ВВЕЛКОМ :) znas da je i nama trebalo dosta vremena da shvatimo sta je i kako tamo pisalo :P :)
      mislis da uvedemo svaki 15ti kao dedlajn?? :D

      Delete
  2. I am so into sleeve cap shaping these day and the construction of the fullness at the back is so interesting - such a nice feminine silhouette. Looks great on you! Love the humour of the bat sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what's life without humor? :) the back is my favorite thing about this coat.. it would be interesting to try something similar with the dress :) thanks Sasha :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful jacket, I am speechless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it! i'm pretty jealous of your incredible handmade wardrobe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Killer coat. I'm practically drooling right now and want one for myself, too. And that colour, oh my dearest gosh. Just yummy. I envy you so much for your skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he, I'm also happy with the color, it was worth waiting for the right fabric :) the most complicated detail to sew were welt pockets, it doesn't have much to do with my sewing skills ;) I'm still scared of trying more complicated patterns..

      Delete
  6. I cannot get over how beautiful this coat is! I think this is a very good example of the finished product looking so much better than the pattern envelope. Based on that, I never would have thought much of this pattern, but seeing your take on it makes me want to revisit patterns that I may have passed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much :) I've showed you a lot of photos so you could see all the great details, in this case - shapes of the coat.. that's something you wouldn't see on the pattern envelope.. I always look at the technical sketch of the pattern, and if I like it, then I look at the model photo.. You should take a new look at your patterns, who knows what will you find there ;) I do it from time to time, and there's always something that I've missed :)

      Delete
  7. I love this! It's the perfect color, and your lining is really cool! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much :) I also adore the lining ;)

      Delete
  8. I really like how you reshaped the collar, and the back shaping is amazing! Your sweater is pretty freaking cool, too. Love the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I had to make some smaller changes ;) the sweater was just a plain gray sweater from men's department, and I embroidered the bat so it would be more fun ;) you can see it here https://www.kollabora.com/projects/surf-bat

      Delete
  9. I's a very cool coat! Love the shoulder heads and coins lining...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) coins are a perfect match with orange wool :)

      Delete
  10. Such a beautiful coat! and looks awesome in that gorgeous orange colour. And I LOVE your bat jumper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that I've waited with making this coat until I got the perfect fabric (all thanks to Mokosha) :) The bat is just a simple embroidery that I've done on a plain gray jumper :) thanks :)

      Delete
  11. All the shaping is amazing! Such a beautiful make! And goes perfectly with your earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot :) it's nice from time to time to change earrings, and these I lice very much ;)

      Delete
  12. To say that this coat is wonderful would be such an understatement! Bravo! Oh, and happy B'Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much :) I can take credits only for sewing the coat ;)

      Delete
  13. Fantastic coat, love everything about it, colour, design and the collar shape. Also the lining is lovely, haven't seen any of it here in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) who knows where this lining fabric comes from ;) it's fun to see that someone had the idea to put ancient coins on fabric :)

      Delete

Post a Comment