Ice Age





Last year I started making a long super warm coat with pattern #114 from Burda 10/2010.. Since I wear only short dresses, skirts and shorts during the winter, it was logical to have a coat that would keep me a bit warmer when temperatures go under 0 degrees.. I bought very thick plaid wool and padded lining.. I had a limited color choice, and settled with this gray-purple-black plaid.. At least it had some color in it.. The coat seamed as an easy project until I got stuck with few issues.. The first was pleat at the back which looked strange with my thick wool, too many layers at one place.. The collar was a second thing I didn’t like, it was too short.. And the third – it was missing something interesting at front..  My plaid was not fun enough for this simple silhouette.. Last year we had mild winter, and that was my excuse to delay finishing the coat.. When this winter arrived, once again I was ignoring the almost finished project.. I even put it on my mannequin as a constant reminder to do something with it..





I don’t love UFO’s.. I’m always lazy to redo them if they have a mistake.. At one point, I pulled myself together and started finishing this coat.. First I had to remove the back pleat, and to do that, I had also to rip the collar seam and remove collar as well.. I cut off excess fabric from the pleat and sewed the central back seam.. The coat immediately seamed lighter and more wearable without the back pleat.. After that I added redrafted collar and it was looking way better.. Besides the collar, only detail this coat has are flap pockets..

 


While I was buying some sewing supplies, I saw frog closures, and that was a special touch for my coat.. Frog closures were an afterthought.. I would love more if I could have placed them symmetrically on the coat instead being off to my left.. They are following the line where coat overlaps.. If loops were longer I would surely place them symmetrically.. Instead of sewing only two large snap fasteners, I sewed four..  






The thing I liked the most about this model were 7/8 sleeves.. A great excuse to make more fingerless mitts and similar knitting accessories.. This red fingerless mitts were my first make to wear with this coat.. I didn’t use any pattern, just a bit of lace and cables on one place.. Yarn is called Bonito (color 956), 49% wool and 51% acrylic, from Turkish brand Lanoso.. I also love how they give a pop of color to my coat..



Behind the camera with freezing fingers - my dear Boginja Drx 

Comments

  1. Ooooh the coat is beautiful!! I think the colour is perfect. The mittens are gorgeous too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much :) I'll be making more mittens in all the bright colors I find ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks :) I'm happy that I've finished this coat while winter is still here ;)

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous coat! Love the color, fabric and the outfit together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the coat is beautiful - I love the vintage vibe and those closures are fab - too bad for the side placement although I did not notice it untill I read the text - The coat itself complemented by the colorful accessories has such a strong impact you do not really notice details like the off center placement of the closures - to be honest it sort of looks intentional ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much :) I hoped that off center closures might look intentional.. that's one of those things that only sewer notices ;)
      I didn't get that vintage vibe until I dressed up for photographing.. for some reason, I could place myself into post WWII years.. or maybe I look like I'm character from Narnia or Harry Potter :) the main thing is that this coat is functional and really warm :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous coat and the mietens are a perfect match. Good thing that you took the time to change what you didn't like and actually finish it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) it would be such a waist of good fabrics if I haven't finished this coat! in the end I'm happy with the result, and I can't wait to make more mitts :)

      Delete
  6. This coat is gorgeous! I love the big frog closures, it definitely takes the coat to the next level.
    I think your modifications are really making this a success. I am thinking of making a coat for next weinter, but I find buying the right fabric and chosing the right pattern quite difficult. So many different styles and options! Hopefully I will settle on a pattern by the end of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) my biggest problem with coats and jackets is choosing the right pattern.. I chose this simple one so I could have enough fabric for a long coat.. also, seams with thick wool would not look nice, and with this pattern they are on minimum.. with outerwear I never know what would I like to wear.. it's not easy like with dresses ;) now that I've finished this coat I finally have ideas for two more and I'm ready to sew them! but first on the list is a jacket :) hope you'll find the right fabric and pattern and be prepared for next winter ;)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous as usual. You lace without a pattern?! Lol. And having the eye for the detail that is amiss is key! The closures make the coat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) well, I drafted the lace pattern, after knitting different types of lace it's easy to make one by myself ;) I agree with you that closures make the coat.. without them it would be too plain :)

      Delete
  8. This coat is amazing!! I like the colours and I love the frog closures...they are perfect for it! I haven't notice they aren't symmetric. It's really barely visible. You make me want to make a coat for the next winter!
    And what beautiful red fingerless mitts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should definitely make a coat!! it's nothing difficult and it's fun to make a garment more complex than dresses ;)
      thanks for all the compliments :)

      Delete

Post a Comment