Mis-Shapes




I completely forgot my plan to make a winter version of one of my fave and most worn summer dresses.. I guess I was busy with creating new things for my shop, and this project easily slipped my mind.. The original pattern is from July 1995 issue of Burda style magazine, and the full blog post about my first make you can see here.. The dress is very comfortable to wear, body flattering, and has interesting details like bust darts and open V at the back.. For winter version all I needed to do is make long sleeves, which was a very easy modification..



The fabric makes this dress more special.. It's one of my lucky flea market finds and I spent less than 2 euros for it.. The fabric is super soft wool, interestingly woven.. I guess you can see what I'm talking about on the detail photo.. Many of the fabrics that I find at the flea market are such a good quality.. In most cases I keep them for selfish sewing.. Once again I couldn't decide which side of the fabric to use, so I combined both.. One side I used for bodice and sleeves of the dress, and other for the skirt.. Also I added the lining to the skirt.. The only thing I regret is not having pockets.. I kinda got used to having that practical feature.. I didn't make any fit changes.. For next summer version I should slightly take in at the shoulders.. With winter version I was counting on wearing the top underneath this dress when days are colder..



I'm glad I found time to treat myself with this dress.. Open back is a bit tricky, but with a top underneath there is no freezing.. I would love to find time to make at least one more winter version because I really enjoy wearing this dress.. Also I have a few ideas for redrafting the bodice and making new versions of this pattern.. We'll see which approach I'll make first :)


Behind the camera - Matija Vukov

Comments

  1. Oh this dress is stunning! The front bodice detail looks amazing in this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the bodice style lines look in this gingham style pattern - great winter dress ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous, and it'll look great with a top underneath as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment