Fall Apart


I’m in a phase of shirt making.. Ideas are mixing in my mind and I’m constantly changing my previous plans.. I was preparing myself to make a shirt from this lovely print rayon fabric you see on photos, but while I was tracing pattern pieces on paper I decided to use that pattern for making this shirt.. I had a backup plan.. I already did my research of shirt patterns from Burda magazines, and there was another easy pattern I wanted to try - #119 from Burda06/2013.. 







The pattern is very easy to make shirt with ¾ sleeves and pockets.. Now you can see my first make of this pattern before I start experimenting more.. I have to admit that this rayon fabric troubled me a bit.. The fabric was very slippery, not all the stitches are good, so it is a bit messy but I don’t mind.. This shirt is for me.. I had about 120-130 cm of this fabric, just enough for this shirt.. Even if the shirt had full length sleeves I would have to make them ¾.. It’s always great when you don’t have a scrap left from a sewing project.. I had to use navy bias tape at the inside of a collar, and it gives the shirt a nice detail no one can see except me.. 





The skirt I made with self-drafted pattern.. It is basically a half circle skirt.. At front sides I cut panels so I could make those pockets.. For me it wasn’t enough, and I added piping to the seams to make all details more visible.. The fabric I used is navy-gray wool.. On last photo is the best view of the fabric.. The skirt has a lining too.. Because of the piping on side seams I decided to place invisible zipper at the back seam..  





These two pieces look great together.. I actually love this skirt a lot and I hope that eventually I’ll find time to make one for myself.. 



Behind the camera - Mokosha

Comments

  1. I love 3/4 sleeves. Shirts usually come with either short or full-length sleeves with cuffs and plackets, but I really like the idea of this third option. For months now I've been trying to prepare myself for shirt-making, and maybe I should just go with this "sleeve strategy" and other possible simplifications?...

    Because your beautiful shirt proves that simplifying isn't cutting corners. Even if the rayon was tricky to work with, you've ended up with a beautiful garment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this kind of sleeves.. To be honest, I was looking for patterns with simple cuffs on sleeves, because I didn't wan't to waist time on sewing a bit complicated cuffs with pleats or something else.. It turned out that both of patterns that I liked had 3/4 sleeves without cuffs :) (the shirt from my previous post).. In my case, I want to focus more on collar, yoke and pockets on a shirt, because there I can play with pin tucks and scallops.. The shirt you see here is kind of a muslin ;) a little gift for myself before I start changing the pattern..

      If this would be your first shirt, maybe you should try making it from lightweight cotton.. Although I work with rayon all the time, I never know when I'll have some problems.. I wish you good luck with your make :)

      Delete
  2. Super shirt, I love the print and the sleeves look great, the skirt is fab too, pockets are a huge must in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I also love having pockets, but sometimes I'm lazy to add them.. On this skirt they are part of the design which is a big plus ;)

      Delete
  3. I am hopping from burda:) What a pretty skirt! I really love the details and your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment