Blue Blood




I’m not in a phase of making shirts (at least not yet).. This shirt predates my Star Wars shirt.. I made it a year and a half ago, but it had a problem which I delayed fixing until today.. I used pattern #105 from Burda 09/2009.. A classic shirt with long sleeves, and 2 small pleats at cuffs.. Sewing the collar and details at cuffs went pleasantly well.. Everything was ruined when I attached the sleeves to the armhole.. It looked like I had more fabric on sleeve cap than I could set in to armhole.. Too many puckering at seams.. First I decided to ignore that, and I even wore the shirt like that couple of times.. Then I decided to find a way to resolve that problem.. After my interventions, that seam was still wrong.. The shirt went on my “to fix” pile and stayed there until now..



I made a very simple decision – ignore the sleeves.. The easiest solution.. I just needed to finish the armholes with bias tape.. Too bad it didn’t cross my mind earlier.. Now I have a cute sleeveless shirt made of blue cotton with black stars and dots.. 



The skirt is also made by me, many years ago.. It’s from a period when I experimented with gathered skirts.. I tried to find perfect width for rectangle to fit my waist.. If I’m not wrong, in this case I gathered 2.80 m of fabric at the waist.. That amount of fabric looks and drapes good only because I picked the right cotton fabric..  Nowadays, I don’t use more than 2 m for this kind of skirt..


Behind the camera - my dear friend Mokosha :)

Comments

  1. Sometimes the easy way is the best way, this Is a pretty good sleevles shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I'm always for the easy way for fixing things ;)

      Delete
  2. sleeveles looks spotless -hehe … probably due to the perfect armhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he :) now I need to find something to do with leftover sleeves :P
      thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Great save, would have been a shame if it had been left in the "To Fix" pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I'm sure every seamstress has the same pile :) it's nice to reduce it from time to time :)

      Delete
  4. Nice one! The skirt looks great too, did you use a very thin sort of cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) the cotton I used for the skirt is very thin and soft.. very nice to wear through whole year ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment