A Lung





More than half a year ago my friends gave me a late birthday present - shirt collar brooches with Darth Vader and Stormtrooper.. Perfect gift for someone who’s a big fan of all fun Star Wars stuff.. I was only missing a dark side shirt.. My twisted mind knew exactly which fabric would be the best choice for the shirt.. I saw the fabric couple months before, and at first glance it reminded me of Star wars.. Even when I described it to my friends I was calling in the Star Wars fabric.. In real life (as you can see), normal person don’t see much resemblance with SW.. The print is more like some kind of ethno motif.. Unfortunately, that fabric was no longer available in Belgrade stores.. That’s why I decided to wait for a while.. Smart choice in this case.. During my visit to Italy back in September, I found my SW fabric in their local store.. Pure happiness :) But the prices were much higher than in Belgrade :( I bought only 1 m of this fabric..





For making this shirt I combined two Burda patterns and my ideas to get the shape I wanted.. The main thing was a classic collar.. Once again I really enjoyed sewing the collar.. It may be one of my favorite things to sew.. It’s easy to make everything look so neat.. I can never get enough of matching the fabric patterns and that’s why I wanted for my shirt to have a yoke and button placket.. The shirt has only bust darts.. There was not enough fabric for long sleeves, and that’s why I made a simple short ones.. Loose fit with this rayon fabric is perfect for spring/summer.. 




I needed to make a black skirt to wear with my dark side shirt.. I wanted to try pattern #104 from Burda 09/2014.. At start I was prepared to make changes to this pattern to get the look that I wanted.. After trying the original pattern, I decided to make a skirt yoke shorter.. In the end I shortened it for about 6 inches.. I finished the skirt and tried it on with the shirt and didn’t like how it looked on me.. The skirt was sitting on my hips, not at the waist.. I narrowed the yoke a lot to fit my waist.. Because of my last minute changes the skirt doesn’t look the best, but I still like it.. The fabric I used is black cotton with stretch.. For hemming the circle parts I used bias tape and hand stitching..




Behind the camera - my favorite sister Dina :)

Comments

  1. Can't say that this fabric screams star war to me (as I'm not a fan :)) but it is gorgeus and you have managed to do a perfect print match despite the small amount of fabric. I especially like that you made the band horizontally, it really adds some spice in this shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot :) I love to play with print matching, it always makes garments look more interesting ;)

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful fabric! I'm amazed by your pattern matching skills ... That is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) you can't imagine how happy I was for finding that fabric in Italy :)

      Delete
  3. Your Star Wars shirt is perfect! I love clothes which looks at the same time crazy and classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I can't wait for warmer weather to come so I could wear this shirt all the time :) now I don't understand why I waited so long to make it.. pure laziness..

      Delete
  4. You obviously really enjoy the details and they make your shirt look beautiful, both the pattern matching and that perfect top stitching. Your love of collars and pattern matching definitely shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you see how much I enjoyed making this shirt and that you like it :) thank you very much :)

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful make. That shirt is mindblowingly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. thanks :) in this case it was lucky find ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment