Broken Toy





While going through my winter wardrobe I’ve noticed that most of my sweaters are gray and black.. That’s why I wanted to make a skirt in brighter color.. I went to the fabric store to find a piece of wool in remnant bin, and the only one I’ve found was this pinkish coral.. Of course, I couldn’t resist when I saw this light gray wool and bought it too.. While looking these two fabrics together I got the idea to make a long sleeve top that would go with the skirt.. That’s how this project started.. 




At the beginning, I only knew that I wanted a cropped top to wear with high waist skirts.. Second thing that went through my mind was to do a little color blocking with the two fabrics I had.. And the last idea was to do a scalloped edges.. Both wools are a bit stretchy, so I took PlantainT-shirt pattern (size larger, just in case) and changed it a lot.. Only sleeves are the same.. I’ve made the neckline less open, cut the length at the waist, added second fabric and scallops.. I don’t love visible stitches on wool.. All hems are finished with blind stitch.. Now when I look at the photos, I think that the top would look better if it had bust darts and narrower sleeves.. But I adore how the scallops look at the waist.. I’ll sure make another similar top.. 




For skirt I couldn’t decide between three Burda patterns, all for pleated skirts.. After hours of thinking what would be the best choice, I picked pattern #118 from Burda 05/2012.. As I have mentioned, I don’t like topstitching on wool fabrics, and that’s why I’ve made the skirt with invisible zipper at the back, instead of sewing the fly front zipper.. Also, I skipped sewing fake welt pockets.. The skirt has pockets (yay!!) and it’s fully lined.. 




Behind the camera – my favorite sister Dina :)

Comments

  1. Great idea! I love a scalloped top and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) now I want to put scallops everywhere :)

      Delete
  2. zapravo izgleda kao haljina na kraju :) svidja mi se.. stize mi vuna danas, moramo organizovati neko poselo ponovo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sasvim je jasno da mi je tesko da sasijem samo suknju :P :) inace, mislim da siva vuna kao ona tvoja sto si pravila dux i haljinu.. mnogo je dobra :)

      Delete
  3. Ohh look at all the work that went into making those scallops! Love the end result, I think the colours are beautifully put together and it all looks very professional. Great work. Also love the tights and shoes :D. Perfect outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much :) I try to do my best while sewing, and these two wool fabrics were easy to work with :) shoes are custom made for me.. I'll have to order ankle boots for this winter because I don't like selection I've seen in stores.. I love fun colorful shoes :)

      Delete
  4. I love it !! The sweat are juste perfect ! (sorry for my bad english !!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment