Disorder





The pattern for Kat strapless dress by Grainline Studio was a birthday gift from my friends.. Better said, it was only one of three parts of the surprise, and the best one :) Kat dress was one of the first indie patterns that I loved, and still is very high on my list.. I’m a big fan of strapless dresses.. With this one I liked the lines that different fabrics make.. Pure magic..  I also loved the skirt with only couple of pleats and high-low waistline.. The design is simple and clean..


This was my first time using this pattern and I wanted to make a wearable muslin.. Last winter I bought 4 or 5 pieces of very lightweight cotton from the remnant bin.. I didn’t like much the color, too pale for my taste, but the pineapple print and super low price were a big plus.. In my fabric stash I have found green lining that perfectly goes with pineapples.. Beside the lining, there was no other fabric to go with the main fabric.. That’s why I decided to use neon green piping for all the horizontal lines instead of combining different fabrics..






The first thing I had to do before cutting the pattern was to find my size.. I have to admit, until that happened I thought that size 0 was only a joke.. Things to be funnier, my size is between 0 and 2! I decided to cut the size 0, because the seam allowances are included.. I hate included seam allowances.. I love the freedom of choosing my own, which are usually very small, between 0.5 and 0.7cm.. In case of this dress I constantly had to remind myself of half an inch allowance.. That’s why I made a few mistakes you can see on the bodice..I inserted the boning in the lining.. The skirt I sewed only with one piece for the front, and two for the back.. At the back I inserted a yellow metal zipper.. Along with the piping that is my favorite detail..



I continued with my habit of not reading the instructions.. Just took a look at the illustrations and sewing of 34 parts went smoothly (21 – bodice, 7- bodice lining, 3- skirt, 3- skirt lining).. Now I can look for fabrics and make a real Kat colorblocked dress! I still don’t understand why there’s no more of Kat dresses out there.. 


Behind the camera – my favorite sister Dina

Vel’ka hvala Sn, Dj, O,I i Drx! cmk

Comments

  1. It looks gorgeous! Your "muslin" turned out way more detailed than some of my final works. And I really like the Kat dress as well but I think that strapless dresses are really not my thing and don't suit my body type. I have one strapless dress pattern in my stash and we'll see how that goes, maybe I'll get the Kat pattern as well if strapless doesn't look too hideous on me, haha.

    Anyways, I love-love-love your dress and the golden zipper is just like the cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much :) I liked the process of making this dress, but I'm not crazy about the fabric.. that's why this is a muslin :) my sister likes the dress, so she will take it :)
      if the strapless doesn't look good on you, you can always add straps, or something more to cover your shoulders.. I guess it would be an easy adjustment :)

      Delete
  2. The green piping looks beautiful! I didn't like piping before and have never used it on a project, but I'm beginning to like it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I love using piping with busy prints.. that way all the details are visible instead of blending with the print ;) you should give it a try :)

      Delete
  3. looking great on you when i boning my bustier stuffs i always had to take it out somehow it is not look good to me .But yours looks realy nice .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) i had problem with boning only once when I was making a strapless dress for my sister.. she complained that she's not comfortable with it so I had to pull it out.. maybe it all depends on the fabrics and interfacing that you're using..

      Delete
  4. ah ha :) well maybe you are right im going to try this bone thing on different fabrics slow by slow then i find it out what is the problem or start to love them .Thank you Tea .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress! How wonderful to have such a lovely muslin. I just found your blog and really like your makes....especially your parrot dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I hope you'll continue liking my makes :)

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I love your blog and have nominated you for a liebster award! http://handmadebylaurel.blogspot.ca/2014/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment