Milk And Black Spiders




I’ve found new fun technique to sew – lace insertion! For some time I wanted to try it and now you can see my first project.. I picked a simple and loose bodice for this dress, so I could make arranging trims for the first time easier.. Basically, I took the bodice and sleeves from Stylish Dress Book, but not from any particular pattern.. All patterns in the book are like playing with Lego, you can easily combine parts you want without making any adjustments.. The skirt is simple gathered rectangle from the fabric that was left.. I was afraid that inserting lace trims would not be easy with this rayon fabric.. Luckily, that wasn’t the case, and everything went smoothly..


I found this tutorial for lace insertion.. Easy to figure out only by looking at photos.. My cotton trim is very simple, not a true lace.. Because my trim is sheer, I decided to place it at the upper part of the front bodice.. The pattern for trim I made by myself.. Just started playing with the trim, and it all fall into place.. I placed one trim to go from the shoulder seam to the end of the sleeve.. That way there are no visible shoulder seams.. The neckline is finished with black cotton bias tape.. I think it goes well with the trim..



You cannot imagine how much I love how this turned out.. Black trim makes nice contrast to this black and white fabric.. It all looks much better in person.. We have terrible weather here.. Taking photos was a bit tricky.. Mine photos were too bad, except a few decent ones with details.. A reason more to show you my friend Sandra who looks so sweet in this dress (thanks Sandra)..




For the end, I wanted to share with you that next week I’m going on a short trip to Berlin :D I still can’t believe that it’s truly happening.. If you have any recommendations for fabric and notions shopping, or anything related to sewing and any other interesting places to see I would be happy to hear from you :)

Comments

  1. For Berlin I can recommend the Turkish market at the Maybachufer. Its every Tuesday and Friday from 10am - 15.00 (?) I think. Theres nice food and cheap fabric and some other things as well. http://www.tuerkenmarkt.de/
    But when there's bad weather, sellers probably won't show up (understandably). Had to experience that last week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how Turkish market sounds :) I'll surely try to visit it :) I'm hoping for weather without rain.. very modest of me :)
      thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful make. I should try something like this, it'll be really fun for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) you should try it! it's very easy if you have patience.. and the result is worth spending all that time sewing the trims ;)

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried this but i like the technic, it gives you plenty possibilities to design a dress!
    Have fun in Berlin, its a beautiful city with great museums, I would recommend Pergamon Museum and Neues Museum, especially Pergamon is my favourite. I also cant recommend enough this free walking tour http://originalberlintours.com/tours/free-original-berlin-walking-tour/ if you don't mind walking it is a very good way to see many important sightseeing but also learn a lot about the history.
    Can't recommend any fabric shopping as I wasn't sewing when I visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it brings endless possibilities in designing clothes :) I've already made three garments using this technique, and now I can officially say that I'm addicted ;)
      Those two museums are on my "must see" list ;) I don't mind walking.. that's my main activity here in Belgrade ;) that being said, I'll have to go on that walking tour :D I always try to see everything I can when I travel somewhere :)
      thanks a lot for all recommendations ;)

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I'm definitely going to try this for my next project, thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. Have a great time in Berlin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your make :) I'm already addicted and I want to do lace insertion on every project I make :)
      thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Tea, this is sooo good! You're always an inspiration. Now I want to try this technique on my own. It looks so... designer :D. Great job, as always, and the shape of this dress is so cute. I've wanted to try this no-waist shape for myself, I'm so curious what I will look like in it, being the big hipped woman that I am. On you it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, it's fun and easy :) I'm sure it would look good with prints or solid color fabrics.. That gives you endless possibilities ;) If you try this no-waist shape and you don't like how you look in it, you will surely love how easy it feels wearing it.. Made of light fabric, it's a perfect garment for spring or summer :)
      thanks a lot :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, and happy traveling! I've never been to Berlin but everybody tells me it's an awesome city. If you ever make your way to Warsaw (which is an awesome city itself!) let me know! I'd be happy to guide you and explore some great fabric related places ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now when you mention Warsaw, my sister and I were planing to visit Warsaw, but in the end she went to Budapest with her boyfriend.. That's how I ended up going to Berlin with my friend.. Warsaw is still on top of my "to visit" list, and I hope it will come true in near future :) When it happens I'll let you now for sure :D

      Delete
  7. cute and effortless … I definitely have to check out the tecnique!
    Have fun in Berlin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll make something amazing with this technique ;)
      thanks Sasha :)

      Delete
  8. This is SO wonderful... the fabric is really lifted by this framing! Well done, I've never seen this in the sewing world (maybe I haven't read enough blogs!) but have seen a few tops, I have one with the vertical line down the front and it's kinda sexy without being sexy... looks like a ladder, but it's only like 1.5 cm ... my son says 'ladder!' when I wear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I've seen this technique in sewing blogosphere either, but I wanted to give it a try with something simple ;) it's so much fun to make a unique pattern-textile with trims ;) I'm also thinking about making a top with "not so much see through" trims on the front ;)
      thanks so much :)

      Delete

Post a Comment