Deer and Doe Orage dress

I'm always on a lookout for an interesting pattern for knit fabrics.. Even though knits are easy to sew when you have an overlock and coverstitch machines, garments are always comfy, my ideas 90% of time are for woven fabrics.. I usually use jersey for basic tees and underwear.. I have couple of dresses in my wardrobe which I enjoy wearing.. I use variations and hacks of one pattern, and I'm missing something new and interesting..



When Deer and Doe released Orage pattern I was happy to see so many variations in one pattern.. There are options for a dress, top, crop top and a skirt, with 3 different necklines and 3 sleeve lengths.. Of course, one can make more combinations than suggested.. I decided that the pattern was worth to purchase as soon as I find suitable fabric.. 




It didn't take me long to find a jersey that would look amazing for dress option.. With colder weather approaching I wanted to try a double knit jersey I saw in a local store.. The jersey is 55% polyester and 45% viscose, heavy and drapes nicely.. The abstract print is not one of my usual fabric picks but it looked interesting and easy to match with other clothes from my wardrobe.. Since this is a double knit, both sides of the fabric can be used as main.. I like the abstract print more than solid black, so my decision was easily made.. 




Colder weather is also the reason why I decided to make a version with mock neck, but without the cutout.. Sleeves are long, and I didn't change length of the skirt.. I spent more time putting together paper pattern, than sewing the dress.. This is one of those fast sewing projects.. I chose size 36, but I sewed with smaller seam allowance than included in the pattern.. I'm satisfied with the fit, and I plan to make more variations of this pattern.. 




I took a look at the pattern instructions, but with my changes the pattern is easy to put together.. I added clear elastic to shoulder seams to keep them at place.. I was afraid that heavy fabric could stretch waistline seam, and I decided to add clear elastic to that seam too.. I think both decisions are the right ones.. 




I'm very happy with outcome.. The dress is comfy to wear, and fabric is soft and nice to touch.. I hope I'll find a similar fabric to make a skirt version.. That would be a great addition to my wardrobe.. Plus side of knit fabrics is that they in many cases don't need ironing before wear..



One of the fabrics I will definitely try for the dress is bamboo jersey.. So far I used that fabric for summer tees and undies, and it is one of my favorite fabric discoveries.. Until warmer weather arrives I'll be on a lookout for fabrics suitable for winter days.. I guess Ponte Roma could also be used for Orage pattern.. 

Comments