Gallowdance


It didn't take me long to make a dress based on a previously posted top pattern.. My original idea was to make a dress with kimono sleeves, but I didn't have any clear idea about all the details.. I knew only the type of sleeves, that it should have a gathered skirt and a waistband.. For my first try I picked this black & white brush stroke print viscose I had in my stash.. Maybe it wasn't the best choice for this romantic dress, but I like it.. Important thing for this model is that the fabric drapes nicely.. Also, I had the right amount of fabric to make this dress with a midi length skirt..



There were couple of changes I had to make to the original pattern for a top with kimono sleeves to get the bodice I needed for my dress.. Top pattern is #108 from Burda 02/2018.. If you ignore details that are added to the original version, like I did with my version of the top, you get a basic pattern for a kimono sleeve blouse.. To make a dress bodice I cut the top at the waist, included 5 cm for the waistband, and added waist darts to the front and back bodice pieces.. Now when  I look at the finished garment I think that the bodice might look better with gathered fabric above the waistband (instead of sewing darts).. I saw this project as a perfect one to try making a back slit.. That was on my mind for a while, and I'm glad I finally got the opportunity to include it.. I would love to make another version of this dress to make all the details perfect.. Just have to wait for warmer days to come.. 



We're having mild winter in Belgrade this year and I've already started thinking more about spring and summer garments.. That's why I made this summer dress in February.. All in all I enjoyed creating this project.. It's always fun figuring out on your own how to redraft a pattern to your own ideas and seeing a finished garment in the end.. It wasn't the best outfit for photographing outside when it's only 2 C degrees.. Probably that's the reason why I caught a cold (again).. I guess that brought me back to reality so I've made one more winter dress for myself which will hopefully find it's way to the blog ;)


Behind the camera - Matija Vukov

Comments

  1. I really love your dress and the way the waistband looks, from the front and back. And I love your choice of fabric too, at first glance I thought it was a leopard print. Can't wait to see your next versions when the weather truly warms up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment