Invitation




Lately I’m very happy when I find time and an excuse to sew something for myself.. I got idea for this dress a few weeks back, but I was too busy to try this little experiment.. Then the great occasion occurred, I was invited to a wedding party.. Finally a good reason to sew the dress.. I delayed making this dress until the Friday, the day before the party.. It always looks incredible to me that I can create a more complex dress in a day.. 



I guess that this black fabric inspired me to make this dress.. It is lightweight cotton with small percentage of elastin.. Great choice for fitted or open back dresses.. Of course, I wanted to make a dress with open back.. And I remembered that I haven’t tried to make a dress with cutouts.. That’s how I came with this design.. Two small triangle cutouts on sides, and deep V on the back of the bodice.. It was very easy to adjust the pattern #108 from Burda 03/2011.. I’ve used very successfully that pattern before (here and here) and I know that the fit is good.. I just made the V on the back to go to the waist, and I cut the triangles on the side.. I added the waistband to hold the bodice and the skirt together.. Full circle skirt was an obvious choice for me.. 


I had a limited amount of fabric, only 1.70 m.. I say “only” because a dress with a full circle skirt and double layer bodice reacquires more fabric.. As I mentioned, the fabric is lightweight cotton with elastin, and I didn’t have anything similar in my scraps I could use for lining.. That’s why I decided to make a bodice completely with this black fabric.. After placing all bodice pattern pieces I was left with enough fabric to make a circle skirt.. In the end the length of my skirt is 48 cm.. I finished the hemline of the skirt with bias tape so I could keep it longer.. Sewing together all the bodice pieces was fun.. I improvised how to make it all neat without any topstitching.. I was left with quite a bit of hand stitching.. 




You cannot imagine how much I love this dress.. The fit is great, and believe it or not, but it’s very comfortable.. I wore it two days in a row and I can’t wait to wear it again.. I just love when I make a new favorite garment :D


Behind the camera - мој Матија

Comments

  1. I love it! The cutouts just give it that extra touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea, this dress looks great on you! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing, I Love the cutouts. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Will definitely have to try cut outs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous dress. I love the deep v at the back and the cut outs add that extra bit of originality. It's true how we seem to be more productive under pressure. Well done. You look amazing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be my new favourite too! I love the design changes you've made and the fit looks fabulous. What a perfect summery little black dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and elegant ... you are going to wear this dress a whole lot of times - i would!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is amazing, it fits you perfectly and you look a million bucks, everyone needs a little black dress in their wardrobe. Your one clever lady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a stunning dress with lot's of interesting details - nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this dress looks young and fresh, no wonder why it's your favorite one, till now off course:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Would you mind me sharing any of your sewing projects on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when, on the post in question . https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment