Totally True




The pattern that caught my eye from June’s Burda issue was for this dress (#133 from Burda 06/2015).. The only tiny problem was the fact that the pattern is for teenage girls.. I wanted to make the dress as my June make for Burda Challenge 2015, but first I needed a test project to see if I could get into largest girl’s size.. As a tester I decided to make a top #132, which is a variation of the dress pattern.. Largest size for the top and the dress is girl’s 158.. I took a look at size charts and discovered that it’s almost equal to women’s 34-36.. Only the height is like for petite women instead of normal 168 cm.. 




For the top I used black rayon.. I wanted to make the top as it is, but on time I realized that the cropped version would look much better with high waisted shorts and skirts.. Instead of tracing the full length for the top, I traced the shorter version that is used for the dress (upper part of the dress).. It took me only an hour to sew it.. The fit is good and it's very comfortable.. After this little experiment I was ready to make the dress (you'll see it soon).. 




The top was a perfect match for these cute high waisted shorts that I've made from the leftover fabric from the dress I made for my sister.. The pattern is #129 from Burda 02/2012.. An easy make which would probably look better with solid color fabric because that way pleats on the front would be more visible.. For lining the pockets I used some polyester fabric with polka dots.. Just a cute detail that only I’m aware of.. 




I love this combo very much.. It’s great for hot summer days that we have in Belgrade.. One of those outfits that I wore couple of times in a week and I still can’t get enough..


Behind the camera - my favorite sister Dina :D

Comments

  1. Lovely outfit! I love the back of the top - so stylish and summery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute outfit! I'm making shorts too right now, pattern 115 from Burda June 2010. I really like the pleat on yours, maybe it would work on mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great to hear :) I hope your shorts will turn out the way you imagined and that you won't have problems with sewing all the details ;) I wasn't sure how the pleats would look on shorts, but I had to give it a try.. luckily I love the result :)

      Delete
  3. Love the top and the pattern! What a perfect flowy summer top. And the detail in the back is really cute.
    May I ask how you made the straps? Is it the same fabric (folded or sewn as a tube and turned?) or did you buy ready-made straps? And were they easy to sew?
    I always wanted to make a top like that but I couldn't get my head around how to sew the straps :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straps are very easy to make :) I used the same fabric as for the rest of the top.. My favorite way is to sew them as a tube and then turn using the smallest safety pin ;) something like it's shown in this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEbdElpSNDE
      hope that this helped you and that you'll make cute tops in future :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, that's very helful.
      I'll make sure to give sewing tops a try :)

      Delete
  4. Love the outfit! I had the same problem, I also want to make that dress... Only, there is no way I will ever fit into the largest girl's size, so I will have to figure out how to grade it, or draft my own version, or find another pattern... Luckily, there is a very similar top in women's size in an older issue of the magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it would be easy to grade up this pattern.. I often have to grade down to 34 and I can manage that if I have larger sizes to compare how to make a pattern smaller.. Also, this is very easy pattern, without darts.. Basically it is a circle top ;)
      thanks :)

      Delete

Post a Comment