Drawing Lines




My obsession with plaid fabrics and circle skirts continues.. Originally I wanted to make only a full circle skirt, but I immediately changed my plan when I saw this fabric in a store.. The color combination was perfect – black, teal and pale pink.. The fabric is some kind of soft thicker cotton, ideal for winter dress.. Since I knew only that I wanted a dress with a full circle skirt, I needed to pick a pattern for a bodice.. Simple - to make matching of the pattern easier, and with long sleeves - to keep me warm.. 




I was scared to experiment with new patterns, so I remembered that #125 from Burda 05/2011 has a nice fit and has a simple bodice (you can see my first version here).. I didn’t make any alterations to the bodice (except sizing it down).. The skirt is full circle and I also added pockets to the dress..  The hemline of the skirt I finished with bias tape and hand stitching so it would look as neat as possible.. Matching all the lines did not go as good as I wanted.. I can live with all the mismatching because the dress is super comfortable to wear and for now it’s my most worn dress for this season.. 










Photos of this dress were successful after second try.. Both times it was freezing and windy outside.. The second time my sister and I had to hide in a corner of a building so we could actually nave normal photos of the skirt instead of it flying in all directions (like on a photo below)..


Behind the camera – my favorite sister Dina :)

Comments

  1. Such beautiful plaid... And a really lovely pattern for the dress. I especially like the 7/8 sleeves, very classy. Too bad I don't own that issue of Burda. Could you tell me if the sleeves have a dart at the elbow? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) there is no dart at the elbow with this pattern.. your question confused me for a sec, because recently I sewed a dress that has elbow dart, but I still haven't shown it to the sewing blogosphere ;)

      Delete
  2. divan ti je ovaj karo, svidjaju mi se boje.. a haljince taman kako treba, mogla bih konacno neko slicno da napravim, ne pamtim kad sam poslednji put sasila strukiranu haljinu sa punom suknjom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kod materijala su me boje kupile :P bacila sam pogled na tvoje projekte i zaista nisi dugo sasila nesto slicno.. ces ispravis to kad se vratis :)

      Delete
  3. As always... Cool as a winter morning. Sewing envy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a wonderful job matching the lines … it is impossible to match every line!!! and I love it! Looks great and the fit is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sasha :) I'm aware that it's impossible to match every line, but the mismatch at the back is driving me crazy ;)

      Delete
  5. So pretty! The color are really great, as you said, and perfect for a winter dress. And I love Girls Names so much, I even saw them in concert last year in Cologne and just decided to listen to their album again right now :-) Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) lucky you for seeing Girls Names live :) I don't think that they will ever come to Belgrade.. people who listen to that kind of music are rare here :( their music is sooo good :) every time I find a new favorite song ;) currently it's Bury me.. not so appropriate for a project name, but if it snows again here (real good snow) and I find time for a photo shoot, I'll "bury" myself in snow :)
      Happy new year to you too :)
      P.S. congratulations for the interview on Burdastyle.de :D

      Delete
  6. Very pretty! I love plaid for winter, and the one you found is so nice! I like the plaid with the lines from the bodice too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I just wanted to say that I'll make a break from sewing plaid, but then I remembered that I have last years UFO - winter coat that's in plaid :)

      Delete
  7. Cool colors and a very pretty dress :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment