New Rose





I’m aware that it’s autumn, and time for making warmer clothes, but I’m still in a mood for summer sewing.. The idea for this dress I had a month or two ago, and only now I’ve found time to make it real.. I didn’t want to leave it for next season and in the meantime forget about it.. You may recognize the fabric from my La Femme project.. I was left with enough fabric for a sheath dress.. The fabric is perfect for it, cotton with a little stretch.. My idea was to make a sheath dress with scooped back.. 


For this dress I used pattern #118 from Burda 03/2013 and only redrafted the back piece of the bodice.. I was surprised how little time I needed to make this dress.. The whole process with tracing the pattern from the magazine, redrafting the pattern, sewing all the pieces and taking breaks, lasted only a couple of hours, including watching an episode of Downton Abbey! I was very confident that I will make a bodice with the scooped back that fits well, so I didn’t make a muslin.. Luckily, everything was perfect.. My other changes to the pattern are shorter length of the skirt and skipping making a slit on it.. This was also one of the rare projects for which I didn’t use a seam ripper at all!







The only thing I’m missing on this dress are the pockets! They were not included in the pattern, and I totally forgot about adding them.. I like how this dress looks, especially the cut at the back, but I’m still not sold on the idea of wearing this kind of silhouette.. I’ll probably use this bodice with scooped back with some other type of skirt for another dress.. 




Behind the camera – my favorite sister Dina :)

Comments

  1. I really like this silouette on you! and the fabric is really pretty. I made a similar type of dress as my last dress of summer (in a very different fabric) and also redrafted a low-back (although not as low). This one you could easily wear in the winter though, with a nice wool cardigan and boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fabric you used for your last summer dress :) gorgeous colors :) also, your version of the dress is great :)
      it's still hard to think about wearing this dress in real winter.. it can be very cold here.. maybe it could work if I do some good layering ;)
      thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Whoa, what a beautiful dress. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, only a couple of hours, that was fast! I love this shade of blue, and I definitely think this dress can go late into fall, or even all year round :) And I hate it too when I forget to add pockets! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I can sew fast, but lately I started making many breaks to check something, eat something, or do whatever crosses my mind at the moment.. that's why instead of finishing a dress for one afternoon, I get to do finishing touches the day after..
      thank you :)

      Delete
  4. this is beautiful indeed. I'd love to wear this kind of dress if possible. the only question and the one I always wanted to ask is when you wear it is it a concern that no support at front, or maybe you have on a special bra?great dress, the fabric is so super pretty, and your have a perfect body for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) I'm one of those lucky gals with small breasts, and I'm not needing any support (still ;)).. dresses with open back I wear without a bra.. I have seen some tutorials that might help you, like this one where you make bust padding:
      http://sewaholic.net/a-little-more-oomph-making-bust-padding/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Sewaholic+(Sewaholic.net+Newsletter)&utm_content=Google+Reader

      or this one, where you sew a bra to your garment
      www.skunkboyblog.com/2013/08/lets-talk-about-backless-dresses-and.html

      Delete
  5. I think you look fabulous in this dress! And I really like the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) I'm also in love with this fabric ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment