Direct Lines




This dress is one more of my little experiments.. For a while I wanted to make dress bodice with tiny pintucks.. After sewing all those tucks back in September, pintucks were logical next step.. Also, for much longer time I wanted to make a dress with a side buttondown.. Last week I had the idea for a great combination of these two details.. All I needed was a basic bodice pattern with darts only at the waist.. 




For bodice I picked pattern #133 from Burda 08/2012 which I used a couple times before (here and here).. I knew that the fit is good and I like those cute cap sleeves.. My idea was to sew vertical pintucks for the front bodice piece, which would create nice effect when there are only waist darts.. I had to do an adjustment to the bodice pattern, I moved bust darts to the waist.. Also on left side I added space for buttons and buttonholes.. I didn’t want to complicate things more so I made a simple gathered skirt.. I used lightweight cotton with which I planned to make a shirt dress.. It was a good fabric choice for sewing all those tiny pintucks.. I love how this experiment turned out.. I made it in a size larger than I wear.. It was only a test, and I would love to make the same one in some other color.. 





Behind the camera - my favorite sister Dina :)

Comments

  1. All those pin tucks :O .... they create such a nice surface + the direction of the lines = perfect! And you look lovely wearing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! What a simple and effective way to enhance a plain fabric. And the buttonned up side closure makes the dress even cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this make! Both the pintucks and the side buttondown are brillliant tweaks! I think I want to try the side buttondown myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I love the fabric choice-it really showcases the design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks smashing! I can't believe how good the fit is since it sounds like you cut a bigger size to accommodate the tucks? It's such a beautiful effect, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two reasons I made this dress a size larger.. First is my laziness to trace the pattern in my size since I already had this one that I used for my sisters dresses.. There are a few centimeters extra space around my waist, but it all looks ok on photos :) Second reason is fabric color.. I would love to make this dress for myself in a brighter color.. Grey dress is just a test version ;)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely delightful! Pintucks are the best and the little buttons are just the cherry on top. This dress is so effortlessly feminine without being twee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this so much! As soon as I'm not pregnant anymore and have a somewhat normal body, I plan to try and copy something like this for myself! Those side buttons are like <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love that you took the time to do the darted pintucks, it looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is amazing! So cute! Love the buttons and the pintucks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pintucks look amazing, I can only imagine how long it would take to make them all. The side button closure looks great, that is something I might actually try. I don't have the patience for all the pintucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this dress...just wish I could sew well enough to make one - I wouldn't know where to start :( Wish I could buy one somewhere...it would definitely be my "go-to" dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE your dress!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment