Superstar




The name for this project comes from the song that came straight to our mind when my friends and I were traveling to island of Brač (Croatia).. Ferry from Split goes to the town Supetar on Brač.. You can see similarity.. Every time someone mentioned Supetar, you could hear our friend Sandrolinija singing Supe(rs)tar.. That’s only one of those small things that made this trip fun..



This dress was the second project I managed to make for this trip (here's the first one).. I had the idea for it before my trip to Italy last September, but didn’t have time to sew it.. The only dress I made for my visit to Italy is this one.. At that time I bought this lightweight cotton with stripes.. My original idea was a bit different than what I’ve made now.. I wanted to make chevron pattern on the bodice with this stripy fabric.. I gave up that idea because I didn’t have time for experiments.. It was easier and safer to sew all bodice pieces with stripes going horizontally.. I drafted the pattern for the bodice.. I started with basic pattern for leather bustier I used a couple of times before (1, 2, 3), and completely changed the back.. I wanted open back with spaghetti straps crossing there.. A dress that would scream summer and seaside.. I made the skirt longer than usual.. The dress is fully lined.. Because the fabric is so thin and see through, for bodice lining I used navy cotton, and for the skirt I used the same fabric as for the rest of the dress..







I’m very happy with the outcome.. I was in a big hurry to make the dress in a couple of hours I had for sewing.. There was no time for muslin and trying on the bodice every step of the way.. In the end the fit was great, there was no need for any adjustments.. The dress is very comfortable to wear.. I didn't want to change it even while we were sitting on the beach and looking at sunset..



Behind the camera - my dear friend Mokosha :)

Comments

  1. Wow, what a perfect dress and such beautiful photos. I love the way you've used the stripes - they work perfectly with the thin, criss crossed straps too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea this is just so beautiful and I think one of my favourite things you've made. Its so very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress - especially the straps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the stripy straps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what a beautiful dress! I love the open back and the thin straps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - that back detail looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super, super pretty! That back is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phenomenal work - those straps are fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous. I really love everything about this, fabric, pattern, the wonderful scenery... And I wish summer would hurry up here as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment