Life On Mars




I’m aware that it’s October, and everyone is making warmer clothes, but I’m still in summer mode.. It’s very hot here for this time of year, at least 20°C every day.. I decided to make one more summer dress for which I have made a muslin over a year ago.. Very cute button-down dress with open back, straps and full skirt.. Meanwhile, I have changed many ideas for fabrics that would look good with this dress, and in the end settled with this yellow-blue plaid cotton.. 







The pattern is #122 from Burda 05/2001.. This Burda issue is from those years when we didn’t have translated instructions in Serbian.. Everything was in German.. All those older issues always remind me of my beginnings in sewing when I used instructions only to see which pattern pieces I have to trace.. After that I would figure out on my own how to put them together.. I kept that habit, but from time to time I try to read instructions to see if there is something interesting (it’s always boring).. 

Patern #122 from Burda 05/2001





Instructions suggest 2.05m of fabric, and I had 1.70m.. After tracing pattern pieces I started placing them on the fabric to see if my idea is feasible.. Full circle skirt needs a lot of fabric.. And I wanted to cut it on bias, so the pattern would look more fun with normally cut bodice.. I was left with enough fabric to use it for right side and lining of the bodice, straps and all pockets.. I excluded only the waistband that you can see on technical sketch.. Everything else I made without any changes.. I’m in love with the outcome.. The dress is perfect for summer but I think it would also look good with a shirt when it’s colder.. 






Here are some photos with our cat Malibu.. Since we took these photos in our street, it was easy to make Malibu happy and take him out for 5 minutes..  Behind the camera – my favorite sister Dina :)


Comments

  1. super je, skroz je dobar taj kroj! i print mi je odlican.. a malibu je mnogo srecniji na ulici nego macka gospodjice svift :) treba cesce da ga vodis u setnju.. inace, life on mars ne mogu da izbacim iz glave otkad smo gledali prvu epizodu ahs, imam utisak da cujem dzesiku kako peva cak i kad spavam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. da se malibu nesto pita on se ne bi ni vracao kuci :P sto se love on mars tice, izgleda da smo se svi opasno navukli nakon gledanja prve ep :)

      Delete
  2. this is so cute! love the circle skirt and buttons up the back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) after seeing how amazing circle skirt is in this fabric, I'm definitely gonna try to find some other plaid to make only a skirt..

      Delete
  3. The back is gorgeous!! Wow, still 20°C, I'm so jealous! I finally got around to sewing for fall, and thank goodness for that since temperatures dropped below zero for the first time this week here in southern Finland :( boo for winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) This week temperature dropped to about 10-15°C.. It looks like fall is finally coming :) I love winter, layering clothes, knitting, snow, the whole package :) True winter child :D Just hope we'll have it this year, unlike last year, when winter lasted only for about two weeks :(

      Delete
  4. Love the fabric and the back!! You make me want the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) the back was thing I liked the most when I saw the pattern.. and plaid is always good for circle skirts ;)

      Delete
  5. Sooooo pretty!!! Every dress you make has such as magical, whimsical atmosphere, I love it.
    The colours are gorgeous and the plaid will made a shirt under it perfect for winter.
    You give me so much hope!! I'm am currently in Poland and have collected so many burda magazines. I've only attempted the burdaeasy patterns because I'm afraid haha
    When you first started with the German magazines did you put lining into the clothes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot :) you should not be afraid to sew more complex clothes.. mistakes are the best way to learn ;) I started sewing 13-14 years ago.. my mom showed me how to use sewing machine, and I already knew how to trace patterns from Burda magazines.. if I'm not wrong, my first few projects were pants, and for them I didn't need lining.. even nowadays, I put lining only if the dress/skirt is see-through or fitted so I can't wear petticoat with it.. with jackets and coats I sew the lining because that way it's easier to put them on..

      Delete
  6. I just discovered your blog and it is so so inspiring!

    Looking through your makes has made my day! :)

    This dress is so cool - I definately want to make one similar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much :) now you've made my day :D hope you'll find a pattern for a similar dress, or even better - draft one ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Tea, so I took up your challenge and drafted a similar pattern to yours :)
      I'm really happy with my new dress - thanks for inspiring me! x x x
      http://www.belgianseams.be/2015/04/living-high-life.html

      Delete
    3. As I commented on your blog post, your dress is gorgeous :) This blog exist to inspire everyone who loves sewing :) Hope you'll have fun wearing your new dress :D x x x

      Delete

Post a Comment