Sunday








I have finally made a maxi dress! If I’m not wrong, last maxi dress that I have made was my prom dress, a long long time ago.. In last couple of years every summer I plan to make one, but never get around to really doing it.. Usually I don’t have enough fabric, or I can’t decide which pattern to choose.. When I saw the model #121 from Burda 04/2014, I knew it was the one.. To be honest, I liked all the versions of that model (#119, #120).. That’s why it took me couple of hours first to size down pattern pieces for all three versions, and then to trace and cut them.. 




For this maxi dress I used fabric from the remnant bin.. I was lucky to go to the fabric store just when they added new fabrics to the remnant bin and pick 3-4 pieces of this fabric, enough for the dress I had in mind, and to be left with more of it for some other project.. The fabric is rayon and drapes nicely.. For lining I used white cotton.. I didn’t have enough of it for the whole dress, so everything but the skirt is lined.. I was lazy to cut and sew the waist tie.. The dress has a good shape without it.. Elastic is doing a good job.. 


The only thing I had to improve was adding the elastic thread to the sides of the bust pieces.. The fabric there is cut on bias, so it doesn’t stand close to the body as it should.. With elastic thread everything is perfect.. There’s also a minor mistake I’ve made sewing the button loops.. The upper one is the smallest, and they ar gradually getting bigger.. The result is a bit irritating, but I can live with it.. There’s a lot going on with other details and the print of the fabric.. It’s not like everyone will notice it, except seamstresses with good eye.. 


My favorite detail with this dress is the cut at the back.. I also love the pleats at the back and at the front part of the skirt.. Before making this maxi dress, I thought that only circle skirts can be a nightmare for hemming.. 


Now a little about the photos.. July is time when I’m usually on archaeological excavations, and this July is no exception.. Sunday is our only day off, and we tend to do absolutely nothing.. Sadly, that’s the case only for first one or two Sundays.. Last Sunday my friend Snave and I were determined to do photo-shoot of our maxi dresses.. Preparing for it was very fun.. If only you could have seen me ironing this dress on a bed with super small iron, which doesn’t have heat regulation.. It’s cold or very warm.. I even managed to melt the cable.. Luckily only the plastic was damaged, no electric wires.. Now you can understand why the back pleats are not properly ironed and look a bit messy.. 





Since the railway is crossing through the village we’re staying, my friend wanted us to find an isolated place and take photos there.. The weather was beautiful.. Gray sky, like storm was going to hit us.. It was also very windy.. Just perfect for two of us in our colorful maxi dresses.. Our friend Drx came with us and took these wonderful pictures of us together.. It’s always such a fun when we’re doing this together.. That’s why it was hard to select photos.. You can hop over to Snave’s BurdaStyle profile and see more of her gorgeous dress.. 


Every year on fieldwork we have stray dogs that follow us everywhere we go (because some of us feed them).. This is only one of our little friends that we named Shakira..


Thanks to Snave and Drx for the photos, and lovely Shakira J

Comments

  1. The dress … the railtracks … the dog … the whole lot reminds me of Santa Fe somehow :) The cut of the back is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, Santa Fe sounds way exotic than some village in middle Morava Valley :) I guess it would be normal to wear these dresses on summer vacation, not like us, on breaks of excavating Neolithic settlement :)
      thanks :)

      Delete
  2. wow! bas je dobra, taj materijal je apsolutno savrsen, valjda cu i ja naleteti na njega nekad :p super su vam fotke, izgleda se dobro zabavljate na terenu.. ja kupila materijal za ovu haljinu, ali mi se cini da ga nece biti dovoljno :( a nema vise tog materijala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to je onaj materijal koji zamalo da je zavrsio u kst-u ;) valjda ces uspeti nekako da iskombinujes materijal za tvoju haljinu.. mozda kombinacija neka dva? ili jednostavno, kratka verzija :D u nekim trenucima sam se razmisljala da secnem moju, ali sam ipak uspela da istrajem u pravljenju maxi haljine..

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I am making this dress for my daughter. It is the first time I have used a Burda pattern. A bit different from the other pattern makers, but not completely impossible to figure out, thank goodness! - Susan Vaughn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned how to sew with patterns from Burda magazine while they were all in German.. Without instructions in Serbian :) That's why I still don't have a habit to read instructions :) Now I can figure out everything just by looking at pattern pieces.. If I'm stuck with something, there are always numerous tutorials on web ;)
      Good luck with your first Burda pattern! Hope your daughter's dress will turn out great :)

      Delete
  4. You always seem to find the best fabrics, you must have some very good remnant bin karma. This is gorgeous btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to explain it, but remnant bins are the best thing in fabric store.. All that digging through piles of fabric is fun.. I'm sure that half (and even more) of my fabrics are remnants.. It's also cheapest way to buy fabrics and budget friendly :)
      thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Your dress is beautiful. I am currently making the Island dress for a destination wedding. Can I ask where did you add the elastic thread to the sides of the bust pieces? I am having difficulty fitting this area.

    thank you for your help
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the thread is not visible because that bust piece has lining.. I sewed elastic thread along the seam between main fabric and lining, to prevent side boob :-) the fit of that pattern piece wasn't good for me and this was the best solution I came up with..

      Happy sewing!

      Delete
  6. To be shared on SSB Sunday. Thanks for permitting. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment